Shake things up a bit with this Pumpkin Pasta Sauce over your favorite, high fiber pasta instead of traditional marinara. It’s packed with vitamins and minerals and it is so rich and decadent, while still maintaining a light feel.
The addition of the pumpkin and sage give it that wonderful, seasonal flavor without being overpowering. Feel free to add in some grilled chicken to bulk it and pack in some more protein.
I love to serve this over whole wheat rotini noodles for the kids, as it’s a great way to get in some extra nutrition without letting them know that they are eating a vegetable.
Keep in mind, this Weight Watchers Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe lists the Points for the sauce ONLY, and does not include the pasta noodles. So, make sure to factor those in.
This is an excellent family dinner recipe idea for a busy weeknight, as it can prepared pretty quickly and tastes fantastic.
PUMPKIN PASTA SAUCE RECIPE
- 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 roma tomatoes - (diced)
- ½ onion - (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves - (minced)
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried sage
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup fat free milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat. Add in tomatoes, onions and garlic. Cook, stirring regularly, until tomatoes are mostly rendered down, about 10-12 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and stir in pumpkin, milk, parmesan, oregano, basil, and salt & pepper. Cover and cook over low, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- The entire recipe makes 4 servings
- The serving size is a heaping 1/2 cup