Oh, how I love soup this time of year. And even though I live in CA and the weather has been in the 70’s this week (don’t hate!), I still crave this velvety, rich, and creamy roasted sweet potato soup while I read all the news stories about everyone else surviving the blustery winter.
It’s hearty and incredibly filling, while still being low ing fat and calories, and full of fiber and vitamins.
The little touch of orange zest adds just the right kiss of flavor to the slight smokiness of the roasted sweet potatoes. I also like to add a sprinkle of ground chipotle powder on top of each serving to add a kick of heat too.
This is the perfect soup for when you don’t feel like chopping lots of vegetables or slaving over a simmering stew all day. It’s quick, easy, and absolutely divine. Enjoy!
- 5 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth (or more to reach desired consistency)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ground chipotle powder (optional, but recommended)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and most with cooking spray or an olive oil mister.
- Spread out diced sweet potato evenly on baking sheet, mist lightly with an olive oil mister, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven until potatoes are tender and begin to brown on the edges, about 30 minutes.
- Place potatoes, milk, zest and broth in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour into a small saucepan to re-heat if necessary, and season as desired with salt and pepper. Divide evenly into 6 serving bowls, and sprinkle with a dash of chipotle powder just before serving.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/2 cups
Each serving = 6 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value