Orange Flavored Chicken is one of my all time favorite Chinese foods. But given that it’s dish that is usually breaded, deep fried chicken in a thick, sweet and sticky sauce, it’s not really the best choice if you are following the Weight Watchers plan. So in order to have my orange chicken and eat it too, I put together a much healthier and lighter version that clocks in at just 4 Points per serving. Plus, it is an incredibly easy recipe, taking less than 30 minutes to prepare. By sautéing instead of deep frying, and creating a lighter sauce, you still get fantastic flavor but for a LOT less fat, calories and carbs. It’s surprisingly quick and easy to make, and works wonderfully served over steamed brown rice and broccoli. Admittedly, this Light Orange Chicken was so good that one serving just wasn’t enough for me, so I ate two serving with no rice, which ended up at 9 Points. Still way less than what I’d eat at a restaurant, so overall, Id say that’s pretty awesome.
Light Orange Chicken Recipe – 4 Points
This delightful Orange Chicken is a much healthier version than the kind you’d find at your favorite Chinese food restaurant. Sautéing it instead of frying it really helps to cut the fat and calories. But it’s just as incredibly flavorful and satisfying as you’d want it to be.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a large, nonstick skillet with an olive oil mister or non-fat cooking spray, and set over medium high heat.
- Generously season chicken with salt and pepper, and place in skillet. Brown chicken evenly on both sides, adding the broth, tbsp by tbsp to keep the chicken from sticking to the pan. Cook until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, and pour over the chicken. Bring sauce to a boil, and then let simmer for another minute or two until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Chinese
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 3/4 cup
Each serving = 4 Points
PER SERVING: 183 calories; 3g fat; 13g carbohydrates; 25g protein; 0g fiber