Cashew chicken has always been one of my favorite Chinese food recipes. But the restaurant version is waaaayyy too high in Weight Watchers Points. So I made my own healthier version, and I bulked it up with lots of extra veggies. I also decided to utilize my zucchini spiralizer again, and added zucchini noodles to this dish. It was SOOOO good! Each serving was huge, and very satisfying. If you want to shave off an extra Point or two, you could less cashews, but I like to splurge a bit on this, because it’s really what gives the dish it’s flavor (and name!). If you are a fan of Chinese fast food, then this Weight Watchers Cashew Chicken is a must try! Enjoy.
Cashew Chicken with Zucchini Noodles
Get your Chinese food ravings satisfied with this much healthier Weight Watchers cashew chicken recipe. Flavorful, filling yet very low in carbs this dish is sure to be a hit.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 large zucchini, ends cut off
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 tbsp and 1 tsp sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp red chili paste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a spiralizer (or mandolin with julienne blade), shred zucchini into long, thin, spaghetti like strips. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, honey, chili paste and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and sauté until browned and cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining tsp of sesame oil to pan, along with garlic and ginger, and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in bell pepper and broccoli, and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until sauce is thickened.
- Toss in zucchini noodles, and cook for another minute or two, just enough to allow the noodles to mix with the sauce.
- Remove from heat, stir in chicken, and toss well. Divide onto 4 plates, and top each with scallion, and 2 tbsp of cashews.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Chinese
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 2 cups
Each serving = 9 Smart Points/8 Points +
PER SERVING: 336 calories; 13g fat; 2.4g saturated fat; 22g carbohydrates; 10g sugar; 30g protein; 4g fiber