I love finding easy side dish recipes especially when I don’t have a great deal of time to prepare dinner. This is a quick and easy broccoli and garlic side dish. It’s topped with a lemon juice and goes perfect with chicken, fish, beef, or some vegetarian meals. It’s light and low in points. You don’t want to cook the garlic too much as it already has a strong flavor. I cook it just enough where there is a hint of light brown. If you don’t have a steam basket, you certainly can use frozen steamed broccoli in a bag instead.
This is an easy side of broccoli and garlic with a touch of lemon juice. It’s simple, low in points, low in calories and low in fat. It takes less than 10 minutes to cook and uses minimal ingredients.
- 2 ½ cups chopped broccoli florets,
- 2 tablespoons of fresh garlic (Goya minced garlic is used in this recipe)
- 2 tbsp extra light olive oil (Bertolli is used in this recipe)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Fill a large saucepan with about 2 inches of water.
- Insert a steamer basket; add broccoli and place a cover on the pan over medium heat.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Steam for 4-5 minutes or until tender, drain and add to a large serving bowl.
- In a small pan add olive oil and garlic.
- Cook on low heat until garlic is slightly brown and toasted.
- Add garlic and olive oil to broccoli and toss.
- Drizzle lemon juice on top with salt and pepper to taste.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5-7 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes: 4 servings
Serving size is about: ¼ of the broccoli mixture
Each serving = 2 Points
PER SERVING: 88 calories; 4 fat; 11.4 g carbohydrates; 4.6 g protein; 4.1 g fiber