To anyone who lives a vegan lifestyle – you’re in for a treat today! I came across a recipe for a vegan bacon recipe at Veganosity, and was super excited to give it a try. The recipes uses portobello mushroom marinated in maple syrup and liquid smoke, giving it an absolutely delicious bacon-y flavor, sans the meat. As soon as I picked up some portobellos, I got to work putting this recipe to task. A few tweaks, and it was surprisingly easy to do, with an end result that was ridiculously delicious. The “bacon” was definitely a bit softer than regular bacon and it doesn’t have that crunch. But the flavor was fantastic. Put that together with the traditional BLT sandwich ingredients, and you’ve got a BLT that is not only tasty and vegan, but also very Weight Watchers friendly at just 5 Points per sandwich.
Portobello Vegan BLT
Nothing like the salty smoky, slightly sweet flavor bacon, when it’s not actually bacon! Vegans can delight in this low calorie meat free BLT using portobello mushrooms in place of bacon.
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, sliced into strips (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 8 slices low calorie bread
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 oz liquid smoke
- Salt to taste
- Whisk liquid smoke, maple syrup and salt in a large, shallow bowl.
- Place mushroom strips in the liquid smoke mixture, making sure all mushrooms are entirely covered, and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the mushrooms for about 3 minutes, then flip and cook for 3 more minutes. They should be browned and the edges should look crispy.
- Assemble each sandwich evenly with the bread, bacon, tomatoes, lettuce and mayo.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Dietary restriction: Kosher
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Nouveau)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 sandwich
Each serving = 10 Smart Points/5 Points
PER SERVING: 278 calories; 6.5g fat; 3g saturated fat; 32g carbohydrates; 13.4g sugar; 7g protein; 6g fiber