What better way to get in a nice big serving of veggies than to serve them atop noodles with a delicious Asian-style sauce smothering everything! This Savory Vegetable Stir Fry dish has become a family favorite of ours because not only is it healthy and delicious, but it’s a breeze to prepare. Feel free to mix it up with the veggies and toss in whatever you have on hand. It also works great with cauliflower, bok choy, zucchini, carrots, and snap peas. You could also serve this over brown rice or quinoa if preferred, and it reheats brilliantly the next day, so make sure to make some extra for leftovers!
Savory Vegetable Stir Fry
A most delicious way to enjoy your veggies, this fantastic, flavorful vegetarian stir fry recipe is simple and always a crowd favorite.
- 8 oz whole wheat pasta or soba noodles
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 half a small head of cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 8 oz package of Shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp reduced fat peanut butter
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Prepares noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add in onions and garlic, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the broccoli, bell pepper, cabbage, mushrooms and ginger. Continue to cook until the vegetables are tender, but not soft and mushy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, peanut butter, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch. Mix well.
- Pour sauce over vegetables, turn heat to medium, and cook while constantly stirring until sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Toss with prepared noodles and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Chinese
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 2 cups
Each serving = 9 Smart Points/9 Points
PER SERVING: 310 calories; 8g fat; 1g saturated fat; 58g carbohydrates; 3.1g sugar; 11g protein; 8g fiber