With the beautiful summer weather we’ve been having, my husband has been outside grilling food on a very regular basis. And today’s recipe for Moroccan Spiced Shrimp Over Garbanzo Bean Salad was actually inspired by 5 years old who LOVES shrimp! On a recent beach excursion, we stopped to have lunch at a local, seaside restaurant, and my daughter was begging to order anything with shrimp. We opted to get her this dish, and she absolutely loved it.
I tried my best to replicate the version from the restaurant, and I’m pretty pleased with the results…it turned out delicious and very light at just 4 Smart Points per serving. Of course, the final approval came from the harshest critic, my little girl herself, and she vehemently approved. So if you are looking for a new grilling recipe to try this summer, get this one on your menu ASAP!
Moroccan Spiced Shrimp Over Garbanzo Bean Salad
For the shrimp
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Ras el Hanout seasoning
- Juice from 1 lemon
For the Salad
- 1 15 oz garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 4 Persian cucumbers
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp Ras el Hanout seasoning
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the shrimp
- Combine all ingredients, except the shrimp in a food processor or blender, and puree until well combined. Toss the marinade with shrimp in a large bowl, cover, and let sit about 30 minutes.
For the salad
- Grill shrimp on medium high heat, until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Combine the salad ingredients together and toss to coat. Divide salad and shrimp evenly among four plates and serve immediately.
Serving size is about 6-7 shrimp and 1 cup salad?Each serving = 4 Smart Points PER SERVING: 138 calories; 4g fat; 0.5g saturated fat; 16g carbohydrates; 4.5g fiber; 4g sugars; 10g protein