You guys. My kids ate this salad. MY KIDS ATE KALE. A ton of it! If that’s not a selling point for a recipe, I don’t know what is. This kid friendly, Simple Kale salad Recipe is not only a breeze to make, it’s absolutely delicious! The key in this dish is to NOT be gentle with the kale when mixing everything together and to let the salad sit for at least an hour. Do NOT skip this step! It’s what helps the kale tenderize a bit, and allows the flavor of the dressing to soak through the strongly flavored kale. Also, because I’m lazy, I used a bag of pre-washed and prepared kale mix that I found at Whole Foods. It just saved me the extra steps of trimming my own kale. And the roasted pumpkin seeds add such a nice extra crunch and nutty flavor. Seriously, sooooo yummy!
Simple Kale Salad Recipe
- 5 cups kale - stems removed, and chopped
- 1 small red onion - thinly sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage - thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots - shredded
- 2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice - fresh
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- ⅓ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, making sure to be a little rough on the kale, mashing and grinding so that it marinates well with the dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
The serving size is about 1 1/2 cups