Well, here we are…the last day of 2016. And I’m full steam ahead in the kitchen prepping for weeks of healthy eating and holiday binging detox! Today’s recipe is one that is a HUGE help to me when I’m trying to cut calories…Stuffed Cabbage Soup.
Growing up, my mom would often make stuffed cabbage rolls for dinner. I remember that they were really tasty, but that we didn’t have them often because the recipe required a lot of steps and it was quite time consuming to make. So to get the flavors of traditional stuffed cabbage rolls without all the work, I prefer to make my “lazy mom” version, which basically combines all the ingredients in a soup rather than the rolls.
It’s WAY easier, and it tastes wonderful! So bright and fresh, but still hearty and satisfying. I eliminated the rice to save some calories, and I honestly didn’t miss it at all. If you still feel like you need the rice, you could always try Miracle Rice, which is zero calories, so it won’t affect the Smart Points count at all. I actually just made a huge batch of this soup, and am freezing individual portions of it, so I can have it on hand when I’m hungry or hangry (so hungry that I’m angry). It prevents me from eating food that isn’t a part of my healthy eating plan which can derail my progress. If you love stuffed cabbage rolls, I highly recommend this leaner, lighter, soup version instead! Enjoy. And Happy New Year!!
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 small head of green cabbage
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in onions, carrots, and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add in ground chicken meat, and cook, while using spoon to break up the meat, until the meat is browned and cooked through.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth, Worcestershire, paprika, thyme, and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then add in the cabbage and lemon juice.
- Allow soup to return to a simmer, then turn heat to low. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/2 cups
Each serving = 1 Smart Point
PER SERVING: 86 calories; 2g fat; 0g saturated fat; 1g carbohydrates; 0g sugar; 0g fiber; 15g protein