Notch-yo average nacho (see what I did there?), these healthy Cauliflower Nachos are an absolutely decadent treat that are completely guilt free. Nachos are one of my favorite guilty indulgences, and just by making a couple of healthy changes, I can enjoy a big heaping serving of them. In this recipe, we are simply switching out the high fat, high calorie tortilla chips, and substituting them with Mexican spiced, roasted cauliflower slices. Cauliflower has such a mild, neutral flavor, that when you smother it with seasonings, cheese, salsa, red onions, etc, it takes on the flavor those foods, and you don’t really notice it. Granted, it doesn’t have the “crunch” of tortilla chips, but let’s face it…the chips are just a vehicle for all those nacho toppings! Feel free to go crazy and add other toppings like black beans, ground chicken or beef, carne asada, diced peppers…you get the idea. I cannot even begin to tell you how happy this recipe makes me. It’s a MUST try!
- 1 small head cauliflower sliced
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup reduced fat colby jack cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- 2 tbsp red onions diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Salsa as desired
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Place cauliflower onto baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Make sure to coat each piece of cauliflower.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, and chili powder. Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the cauliflower. Toss to coat. Roast for about 35-40 minutes, or until the cauliflower becomes golden brown and crisp at the edges.
- Top with the cheese, and return to the oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Plate the cauliflower, and top with red onion, cilantro, and salsa as desired. Please sour cream on top.
Entire recipe makes 2 servings
Serving size is 1/2 of the plate of nachos
Each serving = 5 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 138 calories; 7g fat; 4.25 g saturated fat; 3g carbohydrates; 0g fiber; 0g sugar; 7.5g protein