It may be in the high 80’s this week, but I’ve been in need of some comfort food lately. And while enjoying one of my favorite soups, French Onion – which I ADORE, I got the idea for a simple casserole that incorporated some of those divine flavors.
I wanted it to have some protein, and I needed it to be kid-friendly too, because it just makes my life so much easier when the whole family eats the same thing. So I tossed around a few ideas and ingredients, and the end result is this creamy, comforting French Onion Chicken Casserole Recipe.
It was actually quite easy, and required very basic ingredients…most of which I almost always have on hand. I love serving this with some roasted asparagus or broccoli for a complete meal. And if you love onion flavored dishes as much as I do, try my Roasted French Onion Potatoes – they are soooooo GOOD. Enjoy!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 4 fillets)
- 1 medium yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup long grain white rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1/3 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 10oz can cream of chicken soup (98% fat free)
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup swiss cheese (shredded)
- 2 scallions (chopped)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bow, combine the rice, onions, milk, broth, cream of chicken soup, and onion soup mix. Stir well.
- In another bowl, toss the chicken breast fillets with olive oil, making sure to coat evenly. Then season with onion powder, sat, and pepper.
- Pour the rice mixture into the baking dish. Nestle the chicken into the rice. Cover with foil, and bake for about 45 minutes, stirring once, halfway through.
- Remove foil, top with the Swiss cheese, and return to oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with scallions before serving.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 chicken fillet and 1/2 cup rice
Each serving = 10 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value