Here’s another amazingly good low carb Weight Watchers recipe that was a big hit with my family. I had a few extra zucchini on hand recently that I didn’t want to go to waste, so I put together this Mexican Beef and Zucchini Skillet Recipe for a quick, easy and healthy dinner.
All the ingredients are inexpensive and are almost always on hand in my pantry. For the kids, I served this over some brown rice and they loved it! Surprisingly, they gave me no grief about the zucchini being in there. I really love this dish with the ground beef, even though it adds extra fat and calories.
The flavor of the meat works nicely with the mild zucchini. But if you want to trim this recipe down a couple of Points, you could use ground chicken or turkey instead. With the beans and zucchini, it’s bulked up very well, and is absolutely satisfying. This Mexican Beef and Zucchini Skillet recipe is perfect for busy weeknight dinners. And leftovers freeze nicely, too! Enjoy.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (90/10)
- 2 medium zucchini (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 14 - 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 - 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/3 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add in onions and garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add in the ground beef, and cook, while breaking up with a wooden spoon, until meat is browned.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, chilies, lime juice, spices, and salt & pepper. Turn heat to low. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add in the zucchini. Cover and cook for another 8-10 minutes, until zucchini is tender, but not mushy.
- Top with cilantro and serve.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 2 cups
Each serving = 6 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value