One of my favorite fall recipes is this roasted quinoa and sweet potato salad. It is savory, sweet, and satisfying. It contains an abundance of healthy ingredients that offer many benefits. If you love quinoa and sweet potatoes, then you are sure to fall in the love with this fall-themed recipe!
This salad differs from the rest, as it can be served warm or cold. This makes it a great option for a make-ahead meal. Preparing a large batch of this and then storing it in the fridge for a week makes for an easy weekday lunch. Say goodbye to bland quinoa and say hello to your new favorite dish!
Is Quinoa Healthy?
Quinoa is one of the best foods, especially for those following plant-based diets. That is because it contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein! That makes for a great protein choice for those who follow vegan or vegetarian diets. Not to mention, it also contains a ton of fiber. Dietary fiber is especially important for weight loss, as it improves satiety, stabilizes blood sugar levels, and regulates bowel movements.
Can I Use Packaged Quinoa?
This recipe calls for 1 cup of uncooked quinoa, which yields 2 cups cooked. You do not need to boil and cook the quinoa yourself if you prefer to buy a pre-packaged version. There are many microwave options that you can purchase that will make it even easier to prepare this recipe.
The nutrient content will remain the same in the packaged version. Oftentimes, the only difference is that the packaged versions will have a higher sodium content.
Of course, this quinoa salad can be enjoyed on its own as a vegan lunch or snack, but it also serves as a great side dish. If you are looking to make this salad a part of an entree, there are many recipes that would complement the flavors perfectly.
- Lemon Garlic Salmon: This salmon recipe is a great way to add some more heart-healthy fats to your diet. The simplicity of the lemon and garlic pairs great with the quinoa salad.
- One Pan Crispy Parmesan Chicken: This one pan chicken recipe provides a satisfying crunchy texture that tastes delicious with a side of warm quinoa salad.
- Air Fryer Shrimp: If you are a shrimp lover, you will be blown away by this recipe! The air fryer is an easy and mess-free way to prepare shrimp. The texture and flavor that the air fryer provides will also be ultra-satisfying! It would pair perfectly with the flavors in the quinoa and sweet potato salad.
- Baked Falafel: If you prefer to keep this recipe plant-based, you can serve the salad alongside a plate of baked falafels! Falafels are the perfect vegan entree that offers all the protein, fiber, and flavor you need.
Quinoa and Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
- 1 Oven
- 2 medium sweet potatoes - cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 cup carrots - peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup quinoa - dry (about 2 cups cooked)
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 425F and cover a sheet pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, carrots, avocado oil, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and cardamom. Toss well to evenly coat the vegetables with seasoning. Transfer them to the sheet pan, and evenly distribute them. Roast for about 20 minutes, or until soft.
- While the vegetables are cooking, add 2 cups of water and the quinoa to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Add the cooked quinoa, raisins, and slivered almonds to a bowl and toss them in the juice and zest of the lemon. Add the roasted vegetables and toss to combine. Serve and enjoy!