Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe – 6 Points +
Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or entertaining guests, this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe is absolutely fantastic. It has all the flavors of a classic Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe, but they are baked into a creamy and decadent casserole that boasts just 6 Points + per serving. I will often use rotisserie chicken for this, or I’ll cook my chicken breasts a day or two before to save time. My favorite way to roast the chicken breasts is with my slow cooker, but any method you like will be fine. The key to making this a Weight Watchers casserole is the by using quality, low calorie ingredients. The Jarlberg Lite Swiss Cheese and the Celebrity Healthy Ham (got both of these from Trader Joe’s) are two of my favorite ingredients…both very delicious, but still very low in Points. If you are craving a classic, Southern comfort food recipe, this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole will undoubtedly hit the spot. This one is must try, folks.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Low calorie Southern comfort food at its finest, this casserole is absolutely delicious. All the fixings of a traditional chicken cordon bleu combined into a rich and creamy casserole, that is only 6 Points + per serving.
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 oz of very thinly sliced lean ham (I used the whole package of THIS kind)
- 4 oz reduced fat swiss cheese (I used 4 slices of Jarlsberg Lite)
- 2 tbsp light butter
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups reduced fat milk
- 1/2 cup fat free chicken broth (if needed)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8”x 8” (approximately) casserole dish with non-fat cooking spray.
- Spead chicken evenly along bottom of baking dish, top with the ham, then layer the cheese slices evenly on top.
- Now, make the sauce by melting the butter in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Quickly stir in the flour, and mix until just combined, about 30 seconds. Slowly pour in the milk, while continuously whisking. Continue to whisk constantly until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add in lemon juice, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper, and stir well. Bring sauce to a low simmer, while always still whisking, and sauce is thickened, about 2-3 minutes. If sauce becomes too thick, thin it with a bit of broth, adding in the broth very slowly until desired level of thickness is reached. Then, remove from heat and pour sauce over casserole, making sure it runs into all the nooks and crannies and comes to edges of the casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine Panko and dried parsley (and additional salt and pepper, if desired), and then sprinkle mixture evenly over top of casserole. Lightly mist top of Panko with non-fat cooking spray or an olive oil mister.
- Place in oven, and bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until top of casserole has turned a light brown, and the casserole is hot and bubbly throughout.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1/6th of casserole
Each serving = 6 Points +
PER SERVING: 237 calories; 6g fat; 12g carbohydrates; 30g protein; 0g fiber