I love fried chicken, but unfortunately we all know it is not a healthy choice. Oven fried chicken strips is a perfect alternative. I cut up some thin chicken breasts (although the strips are a bit “off shape”) and decided to try buttermilk instead of eggs for dipping. I love the taste as it allows the chicken to taste moist and not dry. I did not add salt or pepper as I tried the Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning instead. It was a nice addition. I served this dish with a vegetable side dish. You can add a dipping sauce for the chicken strips, just be sure to calculate the points and add them to your meal.
Oven fried chicken strips are an easy, tasty and healthy alternative to the traditional dish.
- 4 thin, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used Perdue Fit & Easy Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, Thin Sliced –already cut perfectly in a package in the fresh meats area of a grocery store)
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- Non-stick cooking spray (Olive oil flavor is used for this recipe)
- Salt and Pepper to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a shallow bowl combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and chicken seasoning, mix well.
- In a second shallow bowl add buttermilk.
- Slice chicken breasts into 3 strips each.
- Dip chicken strips into buttermilk first and let excess drip off before dipping into dry mixture.
- Dip chicken strips into dry mixture making sure to coat all of the strips with the dry mixture.
- Spray a shallow baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay the chicken strips flat on baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until pink is gone and desired crispness has been reached.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20-25 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes: 4 servings
Serving size is about: about 3 strips
Each serving = 6 Points +
PER SERVING: 253 calories; 5 g fat; 19 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 2.5g fiber