Just because you are a Weight Watcher doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite foods! The trick is just learning how to prepare a healthier, lower calorie version that ends up being lower in Weight Watcher Points.
One of my readers requested a delicious Weight Watchers Fried Chicken Recipe, and after looking around and experimenting a bit in the kitchen, I have finally found this super crispy and yummy Southern Style Oven Fried Chicken Recipe that’ll knock your socks off! The crust is so deliciously yummy and savory and the chicken is so tender and juicy, no one will suspect that this is actually a low calorie fried chicken recipe!
By making a few adjustments in the traditional fried chicken recipes, I was able to take this American favorite and turn it from an average of 11 Weight Watchers Points per serving to just 4 Weight Watcher Points, simply by eliminating the chicken skin and the oil – and this chicken is SO good, you won’t miss ’em! The chicken is actually “oven-fried”, so that will save you a TON of calories, but without sacrificing the taste. And I’ve added a few tricks into the recipe to still make you feel like you are eating a “bad” food, so you can enjoy it :).
This Weight Watchers Southern Fried Chicken Recipe is one of the Weight Watchers Recipes that will be a staple in your meal plan for a long time to come!
Weight Watchers Southern Style Oven Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Pam Butter Flavored Non-Fat, Nonstick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion powder
- 3 oz buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs, crushed finely
- 1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, four 4-oz pieces*
* You can use chicken wings and drumsticks with this recipe as well, just make sure to remove the skin
- Preheat oven to 365ºF. Lightly coat an 8 X 8 X 2-inch baking dish with the butter flavored nonstick, non-fat cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, onion powder and cayenne pepper together in a medium-size bowl.
- Place buttermilk and corn flakes crumbs in 2 separate shallow bowls.
- Roll chicken breast halves in flour mixture and evenly coat each side.
- Next dip chicken into buttermilk and then corn flakes crumbs.
- Place coated chicken breasts in prepared baking dish.
- Spray chicken with a light coating of the Butter Flavored non-fat cooking spray.
- Bake until chicken is tender and no longer pink, about 25 to 30 minutes (there is no need to flip the chicken during baking). Makes 4 servings.
Serving size is 1 chicken breast
Each serving = 4 Weight Watchers Points