This delicious cashew chicken is gluten and dairy free. It’s easy to make and perfect for a busy weeknight. Serve with a side of Asian cucumber salad or stir fried vegetables.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (gluten free if needed)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, optional
- Preheat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Toss the chicken in the cornstarch.
- Cook the chicken in the skillet for 5 – 8 minutes, or until nearly cooked through. (Add a little water to the pan if needed to keep the chicken from sticking while cooking it).
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the bell peppers and cashews to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the pan and reduce to medium low.
- Simmer for 3 – 5 minutes, or until the sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with the green onions before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet tags: Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Thai
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup (4 oz chicken, with 1/4 cup bell peppers and cashews)
Each serving = 6 Smart Points/6 Points
PER SERVING: 247 calories; 7g fat; 2.5g saturated fat; 14g carbohydrates; 8g sugar; 31g protein; 1.4g fiber