I’m going to cut right to the chase here…this Teriyaki Meatball Bowl was amazing! My kids loved it, as did my husband and I. I used ground chicken for the meatballs, but ground pork or turkey would work well too. Baking the meatballs also made for an easier, more hands off cooking process, and that homemade Teriyaki sauce is beyond delicious — hitting all the right flavor notes, sweet, tangy, and salty. SO GOOD! If you want to kick up the heat a bit, feel free to add in some red pepper flakes. I normally use brown rice anytime I make rice, but my son has been begging for white rice, so I decided to treat him. The brown rice would definitely add some more fiber, so that’s what I’d recommend if you are trying to eat healthy. Definitely add these Teriyaki Meatball Bowls to your menu this week…you won’t be sorry!
Teriyaki Meatball Bowl
Tender, juicy chicken meatballs smothered in a homemade Teriyaki glaze and served atop fresh steamed rice. An easy and delicious meal that the whole family will love.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with nonfat cooking spray.
- Prepare rice according to package directions and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken 1 tbsp soy sauce, egg, Panko, 2 cloves garlic, 1 inch of the ginger, and black pepper.
- Roll the meatball mixture into small balls, about one tablespoon each. This should make about 30 meatballs. Place the meatballs on the baking sheet, and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, prepare the teriyaki sauce. In a medium sized sauce pan, add the 1/2 cup soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, honey, and remaining garlic and ginger. Whisk over low heat until all ingredients are combined and honey is dissolved, just a few minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tbsp water, and pour into the sauce. Turn the heat up to medium high, stir and cook until thickened. It should thicken as soon as it begins to simmer.
- Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce, and stir to coat evenly. Divide rice into 6 different bowl, and top each bowl with 5 meatballs. Garnish with green onion.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Chinese
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 bowl
Each serving = 7 Smart Points/7 Points
PER SERVING: 259 calories; 4g fat; 3g saturated fat; 33g carbohydrates; 6.5g suagr; 22g protein; 1g fiber