We are counting down the last few days of school until we are in full summer swing! And summer means lazy days by the pool and little effort in the kitchen. This Summer Green Bean Salad Recipe is the perfect dish for those hot days when you want a simple dish that’s light and healthy.
I like the green beans to be a little crisp, so I just blanch them in the boiling water for just a few minutes, and then immediately transfer them to an ice bath. You could steam them too if you prefer. The tangy lemon garlic dressing is the perfect complement to the salad and ties all the components together.
And if you are lucky enough to have any leftover, they are just as delicious the next day! Usually, salads get gross in the fridge overnight, but thanks to this dish being comprised of fresh, crisp veggies, it can be enjoyed again the next day. Yay! Perfect for poolside parties, summer BBQs, and 4th of July picnics, this 1 Point salad is a must try.
- 1 lb fresh green beans (washed and cut into pieces)
- 1/2 a red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Blanch green beans in water for about 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to an ice bath for another 2-3 minutes. Drain and place green beans in a large bowl.
- Add in remaining ingredients, and toss well.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 1 Point*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value