Eggplant Parmesan Recipe -5 Points +
One of my favorite comfort food dishes, a traditional eggplant parmesan recipe, can really rack up the Weight Watchers Points. But my light Eggplant Parmesan has all the delicious and traditional flavors but for just 5 Points + per serving! And did I mention that this is made with three kinds of cheese? Oh yeah…and the eggplant is breaded. It is DELICIOUS. The leftovers were quickly devoured for lunch the next day. Everything worked together so perfectly, making the ultimate low calorie Eggplant Parmesan Recipe. Once you make this dish at home for yourself, you’ll get that Italian food craving seriously satisfied, and yet you’ll still stay on track with your Weight Watchers goals. Enjoy!
A healthier version of a popular Italian comfort food recipe, my Eggplant Parmesan is to die for. Breaded eggplant cutlets, layered between cheeses and pasta sauce. It’s hard to believe each serving is just 5 Points +.
- 2 medium sized eggplants, sliced into ½” slices
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 2 cups panko
- 1 25oz jar prepared marinara or pasta sauce
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1 16oz container fat free cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices Trader Joe’s Sliced Lite Provolone Cheese (or another reduced fat sliced provolone)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with non-fat cooking spray.
- Place liquid egg substitute in one bowl, and the panko in another, shallow bowl.
- Bread each eggplant slice by first dipping into the egg substitute, shaking off the excess, and then dipping in the panko.
- Place eggplant slices onto baking sheet, place in oven and cook for about 30 minutes or until golden brown, flipping over once, halfway through cooking.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, basil, oregano, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt & pepper.
- To assemble, spray a 13X9 inch baking dish with non-fat cooking spray. Spoon about ½ cup of the pasta sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Layer half of the eggplant slices over the pasta sauce and top with ½ the cottage cheese mixture. Top with ½ of the remaining pasta sauce, and the 4 slices of lite provolone. Then repeat layers again, but ending with the pasta sauce.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Remove foil; top with shredded mozzarella, return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese melts; let cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving. Cut evenly into 8 pieces.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 piece
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 217 calories; 7g fat; 22g carbohydrates; 17g protein; 6g fiber