One of the many things I love about Southern CA is the access to a fantastic selection of international cuisine. And after getting hooked on chicken shawarma from my trips to Israel, it’s pretty easy to get my craving for it satisfied here. However, the restaurant version is not very Weight Watchers friendly. So I decided to make my oven roasted version that still has all the ridiculously delicious flavors of a traditional chicken shawarma recipe, but with a lot less Weight Watchers Points. Making this dish was incredibly easy, and each 2 piece serving of chicken came out to just 5 Points. I served this chicken straight out of the pan, but I also like to slice it into thin strips, and stuff it into a pita with some tahini, or feta cheese, and some of Israeli cucumber salad….sooooooo GOOD! This Roasted Chicken Shawarma Recipe is a MUST try!
Roasted Chicken Shawarma
Moist, succulent, and wonderfully seasoned, this oven roasted version of traditional chicken shawarma is a real treat. The Middle Eastern spices give wonderful flavors to the juicy cut of chicken.
- 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp water
- In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, water, garlic, cumin, paprika, tumeric, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Mix well, then add chicken, and toss well to coat all pieces evenly. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425, and mist a 11” x 13” baking dish with nonfat cooking spray.
- Mix onions into the chicken and marinade, then spread all pieces evenly into the baking dish.
- Place in oven and roast, uncovered, for about 30-40 minutes, or until chicken cooked through and is browned and crisped on the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is two pieces of chicken
Each serving = 5 Smart Points/5 Points
PER SERVING: 225 calories; 10g fat; .8g saturated fat; 2g carbohydrates; 1g sugar; 29g protein; 0g fiber