Over the many years of my life, I have tried a variety of Weight Watchers sweet potato recipes, but never have I thought about mashing it with goat cheese and kale. I came across this Kale and Goat Cheese Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe on Veggie Belly and my curiosity was peaked. So I made a few changes in the original version and gave it go. It was delicious!! And I felt so good finding another way to cook kale because I am in love with it. At just 4 Points + for each 3/4 cup serving, this easy vegetarian recipe will a great healthy side dish recipe for Thanksgiving. I’m excited to incorporate it into my usual Thanksgiving repertoire! But these mashed yams would work well with a variety of dinner entrees. Definitely a keeper for me :).
Kale and Goat Cheese Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Mashing kale and goat cheese with sweet potatoes gives this unique recipe a fantastic and tasty twist. It’s an ideal vegetarian Thanksgiving recipe that can also be enjoyed any time of the year.
- 2 lb sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 cup fat free buttermilk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot filled with water. Boil uncovered for 15 minutes or till they are very soft.
- Drain the sweet potatoes well and leave them in the colander.
- In the same pot, add the kale, goat cheese and buttermilk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer till the kale has just wilted. Add salt and pepper. Turn off heat.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the hot kale and milk. Mash well. If the mashed sweet potato is too thick, add more milk to thin it out to your liking.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 3/4 cup
Each serving = 4 Points +
PER SERVING: 144 calories; 4.5g fat; 19g carbohydrates; 8g protein; 3g fiber