Recently, I was fortunate enough to have some family from Israel staying with us for a few weeks over the holidays, and I got to spend a lot of time watching them work magic in the kitchen.
My mother-in-law can cook with eggplants like nobody’s business, and I was determined to master her delicious baba ganoush recipe. In case you’ve never heard of baba ganoush, it’s a middle eastern eggplant dip that is one of the most amazing foods I’ve ever had.
The base is roasted eggplants, which add a wonderfully smoky flavor, and then it’s blended with tahini paste, mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic. Traditionally, it’s loaded with mayonnaise and tahini paste which can make it not so Weight Watchers friendly.
However, a few tweaks to my mother-in-law’s version, and I created a flipping’ fantastic low calorie baba ganoush recipe. Use it as a dip for veggies or pita chips, spread it on a sandwich or wrap, or just eat it straight up with a spoon.
And it even gets a better flavor sitting in the fridge for a few days. Any way you choose to eat it, I hope you fall in love with this light baba ganoush recipe as much as I have.
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp tahini paste
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Pierce the eggplant all over with a fork or knife tip. Line a rimed baking sheet with parchment paper, and mist with cooking spray or olive oil. Place on baking sheet and roast the eggplants whole for about 20-25 minutes.
- Cut in half and place in a sieve over the sink or a bowl for about 5 minutes to drain any extra liquid. Scoop the contents into a food processor or blender, and dispose of the skin.. Pulse a few times until it has a thick, chunky consistency.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse a few times until just combined. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1/4 cup
Each serving = 1 Point*
*based only on ingredients with an SP Freestyle value