If you love cauliflower rice, then today’s recipe is going to make you super excited!
I’m sharing a wonderfully quick and easy low carb side dish recipe for Cauliflower Rice with Sumac. It takes just minutes to throw together, which is perfect for when you need an side dish STAT, and has such beautiful, bold flavors.
WHAT IS SUMAC
Sumac is a dried, red spice frequently used in Middle Eastern cooking, and is made by crushing the dried berries of the sumac bush. It has a bright, tangy, slightly acidic flavor that has been quickly gaining popularity.
Sumac is sure to jazz up just about any dish with an unexpected pop, Try sprinkling it over rice, hummus, tabbouleh salad, or mix it into a vinaigrette to dress your salad. It’s also the star of my Chickpea and Sumac Salad Recipe and would be perfect to add to my Arabic Fattoush Salad!
I have become absolutely infatuated with sumac, and have been finding lots of different ways to use it. Because of the recent rise of interest in sumac, many grocery stores are stocking it along with their regular spices. But you’ll also be able to find it at specialty retailers, like Whole Foods. I usually just buy mine from Amazon, because I can get a bigger jar for a great price (we use a LOT!).
Cauliflower rice is really an easy side dish recipe that has fantastic flavor and will work well with a variety of meals. But if you are expecting it to taste exactly like rice, you might be disappointed. It does taste like cauliflower! Enhanced with all the wonderful flavors of all the other ingredients, of course. So if you love cauliflower as much as I do, you will LOVE this cauliflower rice recipe.
And if you happen to be following any other diet or nutritional program, this cauliflower rice works with just about all of them! It’s Low-Carb, Gluten Free, Paleo, Keto friendly, and Whole 30 approved.
HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER RICE
While these days, most supermarkets carry packages of pre-made cauliflower rice, both the fresh and frozen variety. But if you prefer it freshly made, you can do it yourself in minutes.
Making your own cauliflower rice is a pretty easy, 2 step-process. Here’s how to do it:
- Remove leaves and most of the core from the cauliflower.
- Chop or break the cauliflower up into small florets.
- Put the cauliflower pieces in food processor fitted with steel blade, and gently pulse until cauliflower has a texture is similar to rice. Be careful not to go overboard with the processing though, or you’ll end up with cauliflower puree.
I’ve also seen cauliflower rice made with a hand grater, which does work, but is a much more time consuming process. Do yourself a favor, and stick with the food processor. :)
Need some more Low-Carb Cauliflower Recipe Ideas? Try these!
Low-Carb Cauliflower Rice with Sumac
- 1 14 -16 oz package of cauliflower rice
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1- 2 tbsp sumac (as desired)
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- Heat oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add in onions and cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Then add in garlic and cauliflower rice. Season generously with salt, pepper, and a bit of the sumac. Turn heat up to medium high, and cook, stirring regularly, until lightly browned - about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in fresh lemon juice, then transfer to serving plate. Sprinkle with remaining sumac, and top with fresh parsley.