This deliciously healthy and low calorie Stuffed Cabbage Saute is a variation of traditional stuffed cabbage rolls, which is a popular Polish recipe. However, making stuffed cabbage rolls can be a pesky and time consuming task, but my simpler sauté version in all prepared in one pot making it an easy Weight Watchers recipe that anyone can successfully prepare. It’s low in fat, high in fiber and protein, and has that wonderful sweet and sour taste that I’ve always adored in stuffed cabbage rolls. And at just 4 Points + per serving, it’s a great way to fill up while still staying within your Weight Watchers Points budget. This easy and flavorful dish was a huge hit at my house and something I’ll be making again and again. Enjoy!
Stuffed Cabbage Saute
What a great family meal that is not only delicious and satisfying, but just 4 Points + per serving. It’s sweet and sour taste is reminiscent of traditional stuffed cabbage rolls, but this saute is a lot less work.
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 medium head of cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup white or cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup fat free beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cabbage and let cook for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in garlic and onion, and cook until just softened a bit, about 2 minutes. Add in pork and some salt and pepper. Cook until meat is browned
- Stir in diced tomatoes, sauerkraut,tomato paste, broth, vinegar, sugar, thyme and paprika. Lower heat to medium and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add in rice and cabbage and mix well to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper as desired and let simmer another 5 minutes to heat up.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/3 cups
Each serving = 4 Points +
PER SERVING: 182 calories; 3g fat; 24g carbohydrates; 15g protein; 5g fiber