These broccoli cheddar quinoa bites are a delicious and simple way to add more vegetables and fiber into your diet. This recipe is a great appetizer, snack, or side dish that the whole family will enjoy.
If you have picky kids who don’t want to give veggies a chance, try whipping these up! They will not disappoint. In fact, they contain only a few simple ingredients and you probably already have them on hand.
There is something so satisfying about the combination of broccoli and cheddar – it brings back childhood memories of baked broccoli and cheese macaroni.
- Cheddar Cheese: The most classic combination for broccoli and cheese recipes is the use of cheddar. However, other types of cheese work well too! If you are looking to substitute the cheddar cheese, try shredded mozzarella, Colby Jack, or a Mexican cheese blend! These are all just as tasty. Dairy-free shredded cheese is also suitable as well.
- Broccoli Florets: If you do not have broccoli on hand or simply don’t like broccoli, other vegetables can certainly be used! Some good substitutions include zucchini, mushrooms, and bell pepper. You can also add these vegetables in addition to the broccoli! Just replace 1/2 of the broccoli with another vegetable of choice.
- Quinoa: If you need to substitute the quinoa in this recipe, you can replace it with couscous or brown rice.
- For this recipe, I used quinoa that I had already prepared in advance in order to save time. My family eats quinoa almost daily! So, at the beginning of the week, I prepare a few cups of it and keep them in my fridge. You could also save time by using instant quinoa, such as minute quinoa or pouched, ready-to-serve quinoa blends.
- Please note that the recipe calls for 2 cups of already cooked quinoa. Thus, this means you would need to boil 1 cup of dry quinoa with 2 cups of water to yield 2 cups of cooked quinoa.
- To achieve the best flavor and texture in each muffin, it is best to use a majority of the broccoli florets instead of the stems. This will ensure there aren’t any big, chunky pieces in any bite. I suggest cutting off most of the stems and then using a food processor to finely chop the florets. This will provide the most uniform texture. You can also use frozen broccoli as long as you still chop it finely.
- Allow the muffins to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing them from the tin. This will ensure that they are properly set and don’t break apart.
- When adding the mixture to the muffin tin, make sure to press and pat down the mixture as you go. This will allow the muffins to better stick and bind together with all the cheesy goodness!
- Refrigerator: These bites can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days in an air-tight container. You can enjoy them cold or heat them up in the oven or microwave.
- Freezer: They can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3-4 months and should be heated in the oven at 350 F for about 15-20 minutes.
Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Bites Recipe
- 1 Oven
- 1 mini muffin pan
- 1 bowl or food processor
- 1 spoon
- 2 cups quinoa - cooked
- 2 large eggs
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 ½ cups broccoli - finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese - shredded
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp truffle oil - (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or food processor, mix the cooked quinoa, broccoli, and cheese together.2 cups quinoa, 1 1/2 cups broccoli, 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs and mix together the garlic, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and baking powder.2 large eggs, 2 garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Add the egg mixture to the quinoa mixture and mix until well combined. (add truffle oil at this time if you are using)1 tbsp truffle oil
- Spoon one tablespoon of mixture into each mini muffin cup and lightly press down the mixture into each cup as you go.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until the bites are slightly browned and firm.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the pan.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!