photo credit: food network
This traditional Chicken Piccata Recipe gets a low calorie facelift today! Chicken Picatta has always been an Italian favorite, but it’s typically a dish laden with butter and oil. By making a few small changes to it, I was able to get a dish that offers just 5 Points + per serving, but that tastes like a delicious homemade Chicken Piccata recipe. The flavors are all still there (and even some butter too, I promise!). When I cooked this, I used the zero calorie orzo pasta from Miracle Noodle, and mixed the creamy, mushroom piccata sauce into it, and served the chicken breast on top. It bulked up the plate without adding any extra Points Plus. Just because you are a Weight Watcher doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite foods. Just skip the restaurant version of this dish and make it at home! It’s a healthy and easy weeknight dinner idea that the whole family can enjoy.
Low Calorie Chicken Piccata Recipe
Don’t give up your favorite Homemade Italian Food Recipes just because your a Weight Watcher! Just try our slimmed down Low Calorie Chicken Piccata Recipe and get all the flavors you know and love with a lot less fat and calories. Each serving has just 5 Points +, and that includes the yummy sauce!
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless (4oz each)
- 1 10-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp low calorie butter (I used Brummel and Brown)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk 5 teaspoons flour and the broth, until smooth. Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish.
- Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and dredge both sides in the flour.
- Spray a large skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set at medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
- Spray skillet again with the cooking spray. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add garlic, lemon zest and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture, lemon juice, onion powder and the remaining salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, capers, butter and the reserved mushrooms.
- Serve over some zero calorie pasta like Miracle Noodle (I like the Orzo noodles best for this recipe)
Cooking time (duration): 20
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 breast with ¼ of the sauce
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 197 calories; 3g fat; 21 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 1 g fiber