Growing up, Swedish meatballs were a staple in my house. So every time I eat them, I think classic, home cooking. I adore Swedish meatballs…really, what’s not to love about moist and juicy meatballs smothered in a creamy, beefy sauce and usually served over yummy egg noodles? Well, traditional Swedish meatballs sure are tasty, but they are definitely not so Weight Watchers friendly. My healthier version uses all beef instead of a beef/pork combo, and I used whole wheat breadcrumbs instead of slices of bread soaked in milk. And finally, for the creamy beef sauce, I used fat free cream cheese instead. I got the idea from a Swedish meatball casserole recipe I saw, and thought it was a great substitute for the heavy cream. I also added mushrooms to the dish to help bulk it up, and because I think the mushrooms work really well in this sauce. The flavor of the dish was amazing and was adored by the whole family. Each serving is just 5 Points + for 6 meatballs with sauce!!! I served mine over whole wheat fettuccine noodles because I didn’t have any egg noodles, but it didn’t really matter…the Swedish meatballs are the star of the dish. Serve them over noodles or just eat them straight up. Any way you choose to devour them, they are divine. Enjoy!
Low Calorie Swedish Meatballs
Swedish Meatballs are a classic comfort food recipe that is seriously slimmed down in my version. Just 5 Points + per serving! And they have a deliciously creamy beef sauce that truly makes this dish.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (94-95% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 8oz sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups fat free beef stock
- 3oz fat free cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 3 garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-fat cooking spray, and place in oven while preheating.
- In a food processor, mince onion, parsley, garlic and celery.
- Place it in a large bowl, and add in beef, egg, breadcrumbs, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom and salt and pepper to taste. Combine well with hands.
- Form mixture in 24 meatballs (about 1” each). Remove baking dish from oven and place meatballs about 1/2 inch apart in the hot baking dish. Press down to flatten the bottom just slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes in oven, then turn over and continue baking for 10 more minutes.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray. Add in beef broth and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to a low simmer and gently add in the meatballs. Cover and let cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove meatballs with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add cream cheese into broth, and slowly whisk in until cream cheese and well combined.Then add in the sliced mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over meatballs, garnish with additional parsley and serve.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Scandinavian
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 6 meatballs
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 219 calories; 7g fat; 8g carbohydrates; 29g protein; 1g fiber