Spaghetti Squash with Herbs and Parmesan – 3 Points +
The big, hard shape of the spaghetti squash can be a little bit intimidating at first. But don’t let that thick, hard shell freak you out. Inside, the spaghetti squash lurks lovely and delicious strings of squash that look very similar to spaghetti noodles when cooked – but with a fraction of the calories and carbs. I have found that the easiest way to cook with spaghetti squash is just to steam it in the microwave – it comes out perfect every time. I have used spaghetti squash as an alternative to pasta noodles in a variety of Weight Watchers recipes, but this is one of my go to recipes when I need something fast with little prep and cook time. My Spaghetti Squash Recipe with Herbs and Parmesan is a simple, yet tasty and filling squash dish that is delicately buttered and seasoned, and then topped with fresh Parmesan cheese. This spaghetti squash recipe works well on it’s own as a Weight Watchers side dish or top it with some low calorie turkey meatballs and a bit of marinara sauce, and it makes an amazing main entree too.
Spaghetti Squash with Herbs and Parmesan
This tasty and easy spaghetti squash recipe makes a perfect low calorie side dish. Or top it with your favorite meatballs and make it a main dish. Flavorful, yet light, the spaghetti squash is delicately seasoned and makes a great low calorie pasta alternative.
- 1 large spaghetti squash (around 4-5 lbs)
- 2 tbsp light butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh, shaved Parmesan cheese
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Place both squash halves, cut side up, in a shallow, microwave safe baking dish. Add in ½ cup water, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 12 minutes. Let sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash, thus releasing the spaghetti-like strands. Place in a large bowl.
- Add in butter, and warm in microwave for another 20 seconds to melt butter. Stir gently to coat all squash “noodles” with the butter.
- Stir in garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Divide evenly into 4 servings, and top each serving with 2 tbsp fresh shaved Parmesan cheese.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 heaping cup
Each serving = 3 Points +
PER SERVING: 108 calories; 5.5g fat; 10g carbohydrates; 5g protein; 2g fiber