Tom Kha Gai Soup Recipe – 3 Points +
Tom Kha Gai Soup, or Thai Coconut Soup, has always been one of absolute favorite foods. I salivate at the mere thought of it. Sweet, spicy, tangy….it has everything I adore. But restaurant versions can be waaaay high in fat in calories,. not to mention, it gets expensive buying soup from Thai restaurants all the time! So I decided to make a healthier, Weight Watchers Tom Kha Gai Soup at home, and see if I could get close to the restaurant flavor. Well, let me tell you, I was blown away by how incredible this Tom Kha Soup turned out!! Holy, moly, it was GOOD. And honestly, tasted exactly like the restaurant version, just not as oily. It was absolutely perfect. And just 3 Weight Watchers Points to boot! What amazed me the most though, was how easy and quick this soup was to make. If you are a fan of Thai coconut soup, then my low calorie Tom Kha Gai is a must make. Enjoy!
Tom Kha Gai Soup
- 5 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 14 oz can light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup lemongrass, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp Siracha sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Juice from two limes
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- In a large pot, add the ginger and lemongrass and stock, and bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium and let simmer for 30 minutes, to allow the lemongrass to release it’s flavors.
- Then add in the coconut milk, lime juice, Siracha sauce, fish sauce and sugar. Stir well, and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, blanch the broccoli, zucchini, and carrots in a pot of boiling water for about 2 minutes, just to soften them a bit.
- Divide the all the vegetables equally into 6 bowls (both the raw vegetables and the blanched vegetables). Now evenly distribute the soup into each bowl by ladling it over the vegetables.
- Top with cilantro and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Diet type: Pescatarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Thai
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup soup and 1/6th of all the veggies
Each serving = 3 Points +
PER SERVING: 110 calories; 4.5g fat; 11g carbohydrates; 2g fiber