This Thai Coconut Curry Basil Shrimp Recipe is fresh, light, flavorful and satisfying, and makes a great Weight Watchers summer dinner recipe. The sweet, peppery basil complements the spicy curry perfectly, and the polenta makes a wonderful vehicle for all these fabulous flavors. This traditional Thai shrimp recipe is usually served over rice, but I like the lighter taste of the polenta. Each very nicely sized serving is just 6 Points, and is packed with delicious flavor. Pair it with some fresh cucumber salad, and you’ve got yourself a wonderful, healthier alternative to Thai takeout that is much more Weight Watchers friendly.
Thai Coconut Curry Basil Shrimp
Deliciously flavorful, this Thai Coconut Curry Basil Shrimp is very filling at just 6 Points for each laege serving. A great Weight Watchers shrimp recipe that’s easy to prepare for quick weeknight dinner.
- 2 lbs uncooked shrimp
- 1 16-18oz prepared polenta (the kind in the log form)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 4 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp green curry paste
- 3 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 4 tbsp fat free chicken broth
- juice from one lime
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice polenta log into 12 evenly sized slices (about ¼” thick).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray generously with non-fat cooking spray. Lay polenta slices on baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, or until polenta begins to brown and crisp.
- Spray a large wok or skillet with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium high heat.
- Add in garlic and onions and sauté until they begin to soften, about 2-3 min.
- Stir in broth and curry paste, and then add in the shrimp and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in coconut milk, lime juice, and fish sauce and simmer until shrimp turns pink and is cooked through.
- Remove from heat, and stir in basil.
- Add 2 polenta slices to each serving bowl and top with shrimp and sauce, dividing evenly between bowls.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Diet type: Pescatarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Thai
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 2 polenta slices and 1/6 of shrimp and sauce
Each serving = 6 Points
PER SERVING: 167 calories; 5g fat; 16g carbohydrates; 32g protein; 1g fiber