In an effort to “detox” my body this week for the holiday eating I indulged in, I’m making an effort to eat mostly low carb/high protein, and as little processed food as possible. One dish that will be on my menu is this Chicken and Garbanzo Bean Pesto Salad Recipe for just 6 Points. Not only is it super easy to make, but it’s a great way to utilize leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken, and with all the protein and fiber, it’s a pretty satisfying salad. The basil pesto dressing adds a lovely and bold flavor without needing to use too much of it, which is great for helping to keep the Points low. Pair this Chicken and Garbanzo Bean Pesto Salad with your favorite low calorie soup or a roll or baked potato to make it a complete and very filling meal. Enjoy!
Chicken and Garbanzo Bean Pesto Salad
Zesty yet light, the chicken and garbanzo beans make this easy salad recipe filling enough to serve as a main course. It’s a great dish to use up any leftover chicken, and it’s as healthy as it is delicious.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 medium sized cucumbers (4 Persian cucumbers), sliced
- 4 cups salad greens
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups whole, fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make pesto sauce by adding the basil leaves, garlic, parmesan cheese, olive oil, water, and salt & pepper to a food processor and pulse to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, cucumbers, garbanzo beans, chicken and green onions. drizzle in the basil pesto dressing, and toss to coat.
- Divide evenly into 4 bowls, squeeze lemon juice over each one, season with addition salt and pepper, and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 salad (about 2 cups)
Each serving = 6 Points
PER SERVING: 258 calories; 7g fat; 15g carbohydrates; 29g protein; 4g fiber