I’m not a huge fan of seafood, but I do like salmon. In fact, it’s about the only seafood that I do like. I’ve got several ways that I like to cook salmon, but this is one of my favorite. I like to season my salmon by brushing on a little agave nectar and then sprinkling on salt and pepper. Then, it’s ready to be cooked however I want. Quite often, I’ll have my husband grill it, because who doesn’t love to have grilled salmon (especially when someone else makes it)? The mango salsa is really delicious. The jalapeno is just enough to add a little spice to the salsa without being overpowering, and the lime juice keeps all the fruit looking beautiful. This salsa is better the second day, since the flavors have time to meld. So, if you’ve got the time, make it a day ahead of time. Or, if you’re like me, just make it while the salmon is cooking – it’s still delicious and beautiful.
A moist salmon fillet with bright and beautiful mango salsa.
- 4 salmon fillets, skin removed (3 oz each)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp agave nectar
- Salt & Pepper
- Mango Salsa:
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Brush the salmon fillets with the agave nectar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon fillets on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 12 – 15 minutes, or until they flake easily.
- While the salmon is baking, mix all the salsa ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- Serve the salmon hot, topped with mango salsa.
Grill the salmon fillets instead of baking them.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet tags: High protein, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 3 oz salmon with 1/2 cup salsa
Each serving = 8 Smart Points/6 Points
PER SERVING: 243 calories; 11g fat; 2.9g saturated fat; 17g carbohydrates; 12.2g sugar; 20g protein; 2g fiber