I first had this tasty dish in a little hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant in Los Angeles. It was served in a cast iron pan, and the smell alone was enough to have me drooling. Once I dug in, I was pretty sure I was in heaven. Moist chicken, and crisp, golden brown potatoes in a bright garlic wine sauce (it’s quite garlicky, so I’d recommend this dish for garlic lovers only). It was pure perfection. I even ate the peas, which is rare for me, because peas are not my favorite. If you look online, you’ll find a ton of different versions of this popular dish, but my version is slimmed down to offer all the flavor of the traditional dish, but for just 7 Smart Points per serving. Enjoy!
Chicken Vesuvio Recipe
A specialty of Chicago, this Italian American dish is a breeze to cook and features golden brown, crispy potatoes covered with garlic and oregano and wine.
- 1 lb chicken thighs - skinless, boneless
- 4 potatoes - peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 10 cloves garlic - sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup green peas - frozen
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper, then add chicken and brown on each side.
- After chicken is browned, remove from skillet and add the remaining olive oil. Add the potatoes and brown on each side as well, then remove from skillet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder. Place chicken and potatoes into a large bowl and season well with oregano spice blend.
- Add wine to skillet to deglaze the pan. Let simmer a minute and scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Add the garlic cloves and chicken stock. Let simmer about 5-10 minutes until reduced by half.
- Add chicken to a large baking dish, and then pour the wine/stock sauce over the chicken. Place the potatoes on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until chicken and potatoes are well browned and crisp. Add frozen peas during last 5 minutes of baking.
The entire recipe makes 6 servings The serving size is 1 chicken thigh and about 3/4 cup of potatoes
Calories: 281 kcal (14%)Carbohydrates: 27 g (9%)Protein: 19 g (38%)Fat: 8 g (12%)Saturated Fat: 1.5 g (9%)Fiber: 3.5 g (15%)Sugar: 3 g (3%)
Tried this recipe?Let me know how it was!