When I’m feeling a little fancy, this easy Italian Herbed Chicken in a Creamy Mushroom Wine Sauce Recipe is just the ticket. I had something similar once at an Italian restaurant in Los Angeles, and I was blown away by how rich and flavorful this dish was.
So I recreated a lightened up version myself, and it’s pretty amazing. First of all, I love ANY sauce with red wine in it. Seriously, I will just eat it all up with my spoon and then lick the plate. And the red wine sauce simmered with milk and parmesan cheese is oh so heavenly.
Most recipes that have a creamy sauce use heavy cream which can really increase the Weight Watchers points. By using milk and a bit of cornstarch, this dish delivers the perfect consistency and flavor with a LOT less saturated fat and calories.
My kids ate this over steamed rice, with a side of roasted brussel sprouts. It was sooooo good! If you want to up your chicken dinner game, try this Italian Herbed Chicken in a Creamy Mushroom Wine Sauce recipe and wow your whole family!
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs (skinless, boneless)
- 8 oz mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss chicken thighs with 1 tbsp olive oil until evenly coated. Add in the dried basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, and salt & pepper. Toss well to coat. Heat remains 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the chicken, and sear chicken thighs until golden and crispy on each side (about 3-4 minutes each side). Transfer the skillet to the oven, and roast until chicken is entirely cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet, leaving the juices in the skillet, and return skillet to medium high heat. Sauté the garlic in the pan juices for about 1 minute, then add in the mushrooms and a bit more salt. Cook until the mushrooms begin to soften a bit.
- Add in the wine, and sauce until wine reduces by half.
- Reduce heat to medium, and pour in the milk. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, and being careful not to boil. Mix cornstarch with 1 tbsp of water, and pour it into the pan, and continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens.
- Add in the parmesan cheese and allow sauce to simmer for a further minute until cheese melts throughout. Add the chicken back into the pan and allow to simmer for another 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle parsley over chicken, and serve.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 chicken thigh with sauce
Each serving = 6 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value