I am someone who absolutely loves Chinese stir fry. I just can’t get enough of it. I love it in any form, but the downside of the restaurant versions is that they are typically high in points. As a result, I’m always trying my hand at healthy knock-offs of my favorite Chinese fast food dishes.
One of my best and easiest attempts at delicious knock-off results in something so incredible and ridiculously good that I just had to share it with you. It would have been cruel to deprive you of this amazing Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry.
I love to use flank steak in my stir fry. It’s a rich and flavorful beef that’s lean and perfect to thinly slice across the grain. I’ve found that if you don’t prepare it right, it can be tough and not pleasing, so I’ve learned what to do. The key is to marinate the beef and thinly slice it against the grain.
The key to this delicious flank steak in this Beef and Vegetable Stir fry is to marinate the steak for at least 1 hour. Once it’s been thinly sliced, you don’t want to marinate it too long, or it will get mushy, so don’t leave it overnight. I’d recommend not leaving it for more than a couple of hours.
This amazing marinade consists of soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Not only will this help to flavor the meat, but the salt in the soy sauce will help to essentially brine the meat. Brining meat is an important way to keep it moist and flavorful.
The brine helps to ensure the meat not only absorbs the liquid it’s soaking in (in this case, the incredibly tasty marinade) but it also helps to keep the liquid in the meat during the cooking. This allows the meat to be delicious and flavorful when you’re done instead of dry and stringy.
If you’re not a beef fan, or it’s out of your budget for this week, the chicken will work just as well. Shrimp will also work if you’d like to switch it up with some seafood one night. In fact, I don’t think it’s even a stretch to say you could thinly slice tofu and end up with a delicious vegetarian stir fry as well.
I added broccoli, red peppers, mushrooms, onions, and green onions for vegetables to this stir fry. You could also add thinly sliced carrots and sugar snap peas. Toss in some water chestnuts or a can of those adorable little baby ears of corn.
Really, you can mix up the veggies however you want, whether they are your favorites, or just what you have in the fridge.
Stir fry is something that is very quick to make, and one of the reasons why I like it so much is because it’s not only quick, but the veggies are perfection. They’re just tender but still crisp. The key is to have a hot skillet or wok and don’t overcook them.
Serve this amazing stir fry over some steamed brown or cauliflower rice. Or, just serve it as is. You won’t regret it with this amazing, simple, and delicious Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry.
Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 small onion - (thinly sliced)
- 1 large red bell pepper - (thinly sliced)
- 3 cup broccoli florets
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms - (sliced)
- 2 green onions - (chopped)
- ½ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ginger - (grated)
- 4 cloves of garlic - (minced)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cutting across the grain, slice the beef into 3 inch strips.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Add in the strips of steak, toss well to coat. Cover and let marinate for about 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add in beef (reserve the marinade), and stir fry until beef is cooked through. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add vegetables to pan, and stir fry for about 3-4 minutes. Return beef and reserved marinade to pan. Cook and stir for about 2-3 minutes.
- Top with fresh green onions before serving.