photo credit: delish
Growing up in a city full of Italians, it was never hard to find an amazing Italian restaurant with a menu that make my mouth water at the mere thought of it.
My favorite restaurant had an Italian Hoagie that was TO DIE FOR. So incredibly delicious. And this low calorie, vegetarian version of my favorite traditional Italian Hoagie recipe brings back many of the flavors I adored, but with a lot less fat and calories. And at just 6 Points, it’s a lot more Weight Watchers friendly!
So if you are feeling the need for a savory Italian Hoagie, this low fat vegetarian sandwich recipe is a must try. Enjoy!
Vegetarian Italian Hoagie Recipe
At just 6 Points, this vegetarian version of a traditional Italian Hoagie Recipe, is a real treat for any Weight Watcher. Enjoy many of the delicious flavors of a hot Italian Hoagie, but with a lot less fat and calories. It makes the perfect low calorie lunch idea!
- 1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette (I used a whole grain one for more fiber)
- 2 slices reduced fat provolone cheese, cut into halves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
- 1 14-oz can artichoke hearts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini
- ¼ cup black olives
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine artichoke hearts, olives, tomato, vinegar, oil, oregano and salt & pepper in a small bowl.
- Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide provolone among the bottom pieces of baguette. Spread on the artichoke mixture and top with the onion, lettuce and pepperoncini, if using.
- Cover with the baguette tops.
- Place in oven and toast until bread is browned and cheese has melted, about 8-10 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 sandwich
Each serving = 6 Points
PER SERVING: 214 calories; 6 g fat ; 37 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 8 g fiber