One of my all time favorite sandwiches, is this slimmed down version of a grilled Reuben sandwich. Just by using high quality, but lower fat/calorie ingredients, I was able to transform a traditional Grilled Reuben Sandwich into one that’s very Weight Watchers friendly at just 8 Smart Points for the whole sandwich. All the beloved flavors are in there – melty Swiss cheese, earthy rye bread, salty corned beef, tangy sauerkraut, and creamy Thousand Island dressing – but it’s waaaaaaay fewer Points than a restaurant version. I cooked mine in a panini press (hence the grill marks), which is fantastic to use if you have one, but the instructions are for pan grilling. If you want a hot, melty sandwich that won’t blow your Points budget, this is it. Enjoy!
Grilled Reuben Sandwich
- 2 thin slices rye bread
- 2 oz sliced corned beef deli meat (I like the one from Trader Joe's)
- 1 slice reduced fat swiss cheese (I like Sargento's)
- 1 tbsp fat free Thousand Island dressing
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut
- Spread dressing on both slices of bread; set aside.
- Mist a large nonstick pan with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add corned beef to pan and warm through, about 1 1/2 minutes. Move meat to one side of pan; add sauerkraut to pan and stir it until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and transfer corned beef and sauerkraut to a plate; cover and set aside.
- Lightly mist same pan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Place 1 slice of bread, dressing side up, in pan; top bread with corned beef and then layer with sauerkraut and cheese.
- Carefully place remaining slice of bread, dressing side down, on top; gently press down with a spatula for about 2 minutes. Flip sandwich and heat for 2 minutes more; remove from heat promptly.
Serving size is 1 sandwich
Each serving = 8 Smart Points PER SERVING: 311 calories; 9g fat; 3.5g saturated fat; 30.5g carbohydrates; 3.5g fiber; 4.5g sugar; 26g protein