A true comfort food, this Tuscan-Style White Bean and Sausage Soup makes a delightful, cozy dinner on a cold winter’s day. I love how the flavors of this soup come together and warm your home with the most amazing aromas.
If I want to kick things up a notch, I’ll use spicy Italian sausage instead of the mild. It’s SO good! And this Weight Watchers soup recipe doesn’t take a lot of time or effort to prepare…just around 30 minutes. Another great healthy dinner idea for when you are short on time. Totally looks like a gourmet soup, but is fast and easy to prepare.
If you prefer a creamy texture to the soup, just process one of the cans of beans before adding them to the soup. You can leave the other can of beans whole. That will add some thickness to the broth, while still leaving some beans whole for texture. I personally like it with a broth-y base so I can dip some toasted crostini or garlic bread into it. And at just 6 Smart Points per serving, this satisfying soup is an ideal dinner or lunch that will definitely fill you up. Enjoy!
Tusan-Style White Bean and Sausage Soup Recipe
- 1 lb mild chicken sausage casings removed
- 6 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 large stalks of celery diced
- 1 6 oz bag of baby spinach leaves
- 2 15 oz cans of white cannelini beans drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 6 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add in sausage, and cook, while breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned.
- Stir in garlic, onions, carrots, celery, and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in beans, broth, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low, cover with a lid, and cook for about 30 - 45 minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium, bringing the soup back to a simmer, and stir in the spinach. Cook, uncovered, until it becomes slightly wilted.
- Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Ladle into bowls, and top with 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese.