Moist and delicious, this fabulous Weight Watchers Chocolate Cake is a real winner. It is similar to a rich, decadent devil’s food cake, but this version is slimmed down by adding a shocking secret ingredient: canned sauerkraut. (Yes, you read that right.) But before you judge, you must give this Weight Watchers dessert recipe a try!
This dark chocolate cake is perfect to serve after any holiday dinner or after any meal, for that matter. And it’s an easy cake recipe that just about any amateur baker could pull off.
With just 4 Weight Watcher Points per slice, this decadent dessert is sure to be a hit — and no one will know that the beautiful chocolate cake they are indulging in is low fat, low calories and low in Points!
Weight Watchers Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 spray non fat cooking spray, flour (baking) variety suggested
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup(s) sauerkraut, pureed until smooth
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa
*Lightly drizzle cake with Hershey’s chocolate syrup and dust cake with a bit of powdered sugar for no additional Points!
TIP: You can easily change the flavor of this cake by adding strong coffee instead of the hot water or adding cayenne pepper and cinnamon with the vanilla.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and 2/3 cup of cocoa.
- Add melted butter, hot water and vanilla extract; mix well. Add sauerkraut and blend thoroughly.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake in center of oven until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan for about 20 minutes and then turn out onto a baking rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder before slicing into 14 pieces.
Entire recipe makes 14 servings
Serving size is 1 slice (1/14th of cake)
Each serving = 4 Weight Watchers Points