photo credit: lovintheoven
If you are a fan of baked goods, you’ll definitely dig these tasty, low calorie Baked Apple Squares Recipe. Each square has just 3 Points, and they make a great light snack, or can be served a la mode with a scoop of low calorie ice cream for a fantastic dessert that will make everyone happy. My husband also likes to grab one of these on his way out the door for a quick breakfast sometimes, too. Easy to make and delightful to look at, this tasty apple squares recipe would make a great addition to your collection of Weight Watchers Recipes. And though this dish works great any time of the year, try experimenting with a variety of different apples during the fall, and experience a slightly different flavor each time.
Recipe: Baked Apple Squares Recipe
Looking for a delicious, low calorie dessert idea that will taste like a million bucks? Try this light Apple Squares Recipe, and indulge in a decadent pastry that has just 3 Points per serving.
- 1 cup whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup old fashioned whole grain oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup diet cranberry apple juice (or just diet cranberry juice)
- 5 apples peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray a 9” x 13” baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a food processor, combine flour, oats, and ¼ cup of sugar; pulse until mixed well. Add in the butter and pulse until combined. Add in the apple cranberry juice and pulse until dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Scrape the dough into the pan, and press it out into an even layer. Bake in oven until dough is dry, but not browned; about 10-14 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and remaining sugar. Evenly spread this mixture over the baked pastry in the pan.
- Bake until crust is brown and apples are tender; about 30-40 minutes. Cool and cut into 12 even squares.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is 1 square
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 170 calories; 3 g fat; 25 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber