I got rid of the noddles in this Noodle-Free Lasagna Recipe, and used grilled zucchini and Portabella mushrooms instead, and it was a HUGE hit! The lasagna tasted amazing and the noodles weren’t missed a bit. The key was to still use good mozzarella cheese (not fat free) and use real ground beef instead of ground turkey. This helps to keep all of the amazing flavors of a traditional lasagna that we all love. But using the grilled vegetables instead of noodles helped to cut down on a lot of the calories and carbohydrates while adding additional fiber and protein. It’s important to note that salting and grilling the zucchini and mushrooms is a must-do…this helps to eliminate much of the water from the vegetables (and also adds a wonderful flavor!). If you don’t salt and grill the veggies beforehand, the lasagna will be very, very watery. So don’t skip that step! This Noodle Free Lasagna was seriously SO good, my husband even stated that we should never use noodles again when making lasagna. Each nicely sized serving is just 6 Points +, making it a fantastic idea for a Weight Watchers lasagna recipe that won’t use up a lot of your daily Points. Enjoy!
Noodle-Free Lasagna Recipe
What an amazing low calorie lasagna recipe! This Noodle-Free Lasagna uses grilled zucchini and portabella mushrooms instead of carb-heavy noodles, making this divine dish just 6 Points + per serving.
- 4 medium zucchini, ends removed, sliced lengthwise
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, sliced into strips
- 8oz extra lean ground-beef (94% lean)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15oz container fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat grill or broiler, sprinkle zucchini and mushrooms with salt, and then grill until cooked…about 2 minutes per side. Set aside on paper towels to help drain excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a large, nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set on medium high heat. Saute 3 cloves garlic and onions until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in ground beef and cook until beef is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add in diced tomatoes, oregano, basil, and additional salt and pepper. Stir well, and cook until thick, and heated through.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine ricotta, grated parmesan, remaining garlic, liquid egg substitute, and some additional salt and pepper.
- Using a 9” x 13” baking dish, spoon some tomato and beef sauce onto bottom of dish.
- Layer with zucchini and mushroom slices to cover. Cover with a layer of ricotta mixture.
- Continue layering until veggies, sauce and ricotta mixture are used up. Then top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil, poke a few holes in foil to allow steam escape, and bake in oven for about 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and put back in oven for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut into 6 equally sized portions and enjoy!
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet tags: Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1/6 of lasagna
Each serving = 6 Points +
PER SERVING: 270 calories; 7g fat; 19g carbohydrates; 30g protein; 3g fiber