Irish is one of the many cultural backgrounds in my heritage. I enjoy celebrating St. Patrick’s Day during the month of March and anytime really. This is one of the many desserts I love and it goes very well with an Irish Coffee!
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter; soften in microwave (Horizon organic unsalted butter is used in this recipe).
- 1 cup sugar, granulated (sugar in the raw is used for this recipe – but white sugar is fine).
- 1 egg, beaten (3-tablespoons of egg beaters may be used instead, however, you will need to adjust your points as the nutritional values will be less).
- 4 apples, cored, peeled and diced into small squares (McIntosh apples are used in this recipe).
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Spray 8 inch round cake pan with cooking spray
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, apples, nuts and vanilla and blend well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until lumps from flower are gone.
- Pour the batter into round cake pan.
- Bake until the cake is lightly browned and insert a toothpick into the center until it comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- Let cake cool and serve.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 12 – about 2″ slice per serving
Culinary tradition: Irish
Entire recipe makes: 12 servings
Serving size is about:
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 184 calories; 5.9 fat; 31.5 g carbohydrates; 2.3 g protein; 1.6 g fiber