Penne with Sausage and Vegetables
This simple pasta dish has beautiful colors that make it delightful to serve and eat. Using turkey sausage makes this a high protein, but a lower fat meal.
- 1/2 lb ground turkey sausage
- 8 oz penne
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 lb broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet until no pink remains.
- While the sausage is browning, chop the vegetables.
- Once the sausage has browned, add the broccoli and garlic to the sausage and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and cover the pan.
- Cook for 3 – 5 minutes, or until the broccoli begins to become tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste and serve hot.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Italian
Each Serving = 8 Smart Points/7 Points
PER SERVING: 269 calories; 7.8g fat; 7.8g saturated fat; 37g carbohydrates; 1g sugar; 13g protein; 2.4 fiber