These crepes are wonderful for a lazy weekend brunch. The leftovers make wonderful weekday breakfasts and lunches. These thin French pancakes are filled with the mushroom and spinach mixture, making them elegant and delicious.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 Tbsp water
- 3 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb white mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Salt & pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup skim milk
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- For the Crepes:
- In a food processor or blender, mix the flour, milk, water, eggs, butter and salt until well combined and smooth.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a medium sized skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until the pan is hot.
- Pour a 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and swirl the pan so the batter coats the bottom of the pan.
- Cook the crepe for about 1 minute, then flip and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Set aside and repeat with the remaining batter.
- For the filling:
- Saute the mushrooms, onion, butter, salt and pepper in a large skillet.
- Cook over medium heat for 8 – 10 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and stir in until the mushrooms and onions are coated.
- Cook for 1 minute, or until the flour begins to brown.
- Add the broth and stir, making sure to scrape off the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the milk and cook until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the spinach, parmesan and nutmeg.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and lightly grease a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Fill each crepe with 3 tablespoons of filling and then roll up.
- Place the crepes in the prepared pan. Sprinkle on the cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Broil for an additional 5 minutes to brown the tops of the crepes (if desired).
- Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: French
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 2 crepes with 6 Tbsp filling
Each serving = 12 Smart Points/7 Points
PER SERVING: 366 calories; 14.9g fat; 8.2g saturated fat; 20g carbohydrates; 7.1g sugar; 20g protein; 4.3g fiber