Gluten Free Poppy Seed Muffins
These tasty muffins are perfect for breakfast or a snack. The Greek yogurt not only adds some protein, to helps to make them light and fluffy. Fresh lemon zest and poppy seeds make this a classic combination and they’re topped with sliced almonds to add a little elegance.
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (fat free)
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a muffin tin, or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, cream together the applesauce, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and yogurt. Mix until well combined.
- Add the flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder. Mix until well combined.
- Add the poppyseeds and mix well.
- Allow the batter to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Evenly divide the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the almonds on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is about 1 muffin
Each serving = 5 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 132 calories; 3g fat;0.5g saturated fat;22g carbohydrates; 10g sugar;5g protein; 1g fiber