The winter holidays of Christmas and New Year’s are always a little crazy for my husband and me. Christmas is usually spent with my family and then New Year’s with his family. When my family all descends on us, I have to have everything planned to within an inch of its life. Every meal is planned, shopped for and prepped as much as I can. It makes life so much easier, and I’m able to enjoy time with my family that way. But when my parents came back and spent a few days with us after New Year’s, I had nothing ready. So my mom suggested this delicious spaghetti pie recipe. Sure, I’d heard of spaghetti pie, but I just assumed it was noodles and sauce mixed together and baked in a pie plate. I was pretty skeptical of this recipe, but it was absolutely delicious. I used gluten free pasta, and it worked just as well as wheat pasta. Just be careful not to use a bigger pie plate than 9 inches or you won’t have enough crust. It was really pretty easy to put together since I had meat sauce in the freezer that I just thawed out. It was simple and delicious. While the pie was baking, it gave us plenty of time to put together a salad and steam some peas. Beautiful, delicious and loved by everybody!
Who doesn’t love spaghetti? This simple and delicious spaghetti pie will be loved by the whole family. Classic spaghetti sauce with whole wheat pasta makes this healthy and tasty.
- 4 oz whole wheat pasta, uncooked
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 lb ground turkey, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 inch pie plate.
- Mix together the pasta, egg and parmesan cheese.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the pie plate and up the sides to make the “crust”.
- Spread the cottage cheese on top of the “crust”.
- Mix the turkey and pasta sauce together, and spread over the cottage cheese.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 8 Smart Points/7 Points
PER SERVING: 250 calories; 10g fat;3g saturated fat;25g carbohydrates; 7g sugar;16g protein; 2g fiber