Seeking a yummy, low calorie comfort food recipe? Then you came to the right post today, people! If you’ve ever indulged in any of the processed, high sodium, deliciously unhealthy Hamburger Helper Recipes, then you know what I’m talking about when I say that no matter how fattening/bad for you/practically poison those Hamburger Helper Macaroni Casseroles are, they sure do taste yummy. So instead, I played around with some recipes, and came up with this rockin’ version. Super high in fiber, high in protein and way low in fat, this delicious dish not only tastes great, it’s pretty good for you too! With the addition of some veggies and using better quality pasta and ground beef, Hamburger Macaroni Casserole Recipes can be indulged in once again! Enjoy!
Hamburger Macaroni Casserole Recipe
A delicious healthy casserole recipe that’s ideal for any Weight Watcher. So good and flavorful, it’s hard to believe that each serving has just 7 Points for 1 1/2 cups! So skip the homemade Hamburger Macaroni Casserole Recipes that you know and love, and try this slimmed down version instead.
- 1 lb extra lean (96%) lean ground beef
- 2 cups Ronzoni Smart Taste Macaroni Noodles
- 1 1/2 cups fat free beef broth
- 10 ounces white mushrooms
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a food processor, process garlic until minced, then add carrots and mushrooms and process until finely chopped. Turn it off, add onion and tomato, and pulse until roughly chopped.
- Cook beef in a large straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the chopped vegetables, paprika, thyme, sage salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables start to soften and the mushrooms release their juices, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in water, 1 1/4 cups broth, noodles and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk flour with the remaining 1/4 cup broth in a small bowl until smooth; stir into the hamburger mixture.
- Stir in the sour cream. Simmer, stirring often, until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes.
Cooking time (duration): 35
Diet (other): Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 1/2 cups
Each serving = 7 Points
PER SERVING: 269 calories; 4g fat; 32 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 6 g fiber