If there is a food that I could eat every day and not get tired of, buffalo chicken strips would be a top contender.
But since following the Weight Watchers diet plan, I was hard pressed to find an amazing buffalo chicken strip recipe that not only tasted great, but would be low in Weight Watchers Points and good for me too.
So I made up my own special, low calorie recipe! It tastes amazing, is incredibly low in fat and calories, and packs in an excellent serving of fiber!
These buffalo chicken strips are also great to make for a party or picnic, and are a great, healthy snack to chow down on during your favorite football game (Go Steelers!)
Weight Watchers Buffalo Chicken Strip Recipe
- 8 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup egg whites or egg alternative
- 1 cup original Fiber One Cereal
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1 tbsp light butter (I used Balade Light Butter)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash and cut chicken breasts into strips that are approximately 1 1/2 inches wide (should be about 6 strips total). Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine cereal, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and pepper and pulverize to a fine powder or breadcrumb like consistency. Pour mixture into a shallow bowl or onto a small plate. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and then add in 1 cup of the hot sauce. Mix well and warm until heated, but not bubbling or boiling. Pour into a small, shallow bowl, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix egg whites (or egg alternative) with the 2 tbsp or remaining hot sauce.
- Now take each chicken strip, and coat with egg and hot sauce mixture. Shake off all excess egg from the meat.
- Next coat chicken in cereal mix until strip is fully breaded. Lay strip on baking sheet. Repeat until all pieces of chicken are breaded and on the baking sheet.
- Now, with a brush or spoon, drizzle about 3/4 hot sauce and butter mixture over all the chicken pieces. Make sure to coat well.
- Bake chicken at 400 degrees until breading becomes crispy and chicken is cooked through (approximately 15-20 minutes).
- Serve with remaining hot sauce mixture for dipping. YUM!!!!!
Entire recipe makes 2 servings
Serving size is approximately 3 chicken strips
Each serving = 4 Points
PER SERVING: 200 calories; 3g fat; 11g carbohydrates; 29g protein; 3g fiber